Thursday, March 19, 2009

thoughts on starbucks

I took Ate Pen out for starbucks.
On our walk there we stopped at a squatter area where we have a couple families that we have been sharing the gospel and some food with. I sat with 3 dirty kids and tried all my best Tagalog questions to get to know them. It was late at night so we squatted near their house where a candle was. It was so peaceful just sitting with them and watching them laugh with each other. Their smiles so big...
I watched Ate Pen loving these kids...so beautiful. SO so beautiful. Her love for these people, the people who are poor and literally helpless, is probably one of the most beautiful things ever. Even more beautiful than the mountains in B.C... Her heart has been given to her by God. She is a vessel of His and she glorifies Him in such powerful ways...
I love her.
We then made our way to starbucks... I must say that after sitting with those kids who hadn't had supper and may not have breakfast, the starbucks didn't taste the same...
I knew this would happen. I'm not angry at my western culture for how much money we have and spend and keep to ourselves...I'm not. I just want to be wise when I return with where I spend my money...I see money in a different way...
I see people in a different way.
I see the poor in a different way...
oh thank you Lord!
Ate Pen and I decided that next time, starbucks would not be our first choice...
Still learning...I'm so young.

1 comment:

Eunice said...

Roby,
It's so wonderful to see how God has been speaking to your heart and how He is using you. Don't ever let me or anyone else dampen this passion you have for others and the Lord. I have so much to learn from you...
MOM